Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

N.E. Florida 8 point

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
saxman

saxman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-24

N.E. Florida 8 point Empty
PostSubject: N.E. Florida 8 point   N.E. Florida 8 point Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 am

I went to one of the swamp blinds last night and got a shot but had a hang fire using a W-209 (I switched to a CCIm-209
Don't know what led me to do it but I went to the same blind this morning.
It was moon bright last night and I got in a little later than I should have so I didn't take any of my luxuries out of my pack.I put on a primer,put the barrel in the rest and went into scope world.
My set up is very comfortable so I just look through the scope (on 3x) most of the time.
I never heard this deer come in,I was scanning the cut back and forth real slow getting used to the low light.
I scoped back to where I had just been and caught movement.It was a deer,looked to be a fairly big one for around here as far as body size.I never saw the rack (I have a doe tag),he had his head down quartering to me.
I later ranged it at 52 yards.With his head down I could see where the neck meets the shoulders.I settled the crosshairs on that spot and squeezed the trigger.There was no hangfire this time.
I forced myself to not flinch and remain on target as the smoke cleared.
He dropped right in his tracks,there was no sign of any struggle.
I couldn't figure out the timer on my daughters camera but I did shoot a video with it.I'll post it later.

45 cal CVA Kodiak Magnum/SS Fluted/Camo synth
Simmons 3x9x50
90 grn BH 209
Precision Rifles 195 grn Dead Center
CCIm 209 primer
52 yars neck shot

N.E. Florida 8 point 8pointbuck

N.E. Florida 8 point Meholding8point

N.E. Florida 8 point Shotplacement8point

N.E. Florida 8 point Shotplacement18point

N.E. Florida 8 point Mewithbuck1-1

My Jeep Gambrel

N.E. Florida 8 point JeepGambrel

His last rub

N.E. Florida 8 point Lastrub8point

And the video

https://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/saxman_1/?action=view&current=buckvideo.flv

Last edited by saxman on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Florida 8 point   N.E. Florida 8 point Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Congrads saxman!! cheers What a healthy looking buck. Awesome video too. You be be able to re-live that hunt for years to come. That's one for us .45ers!!

Thanks for sharing it. You got me all fired-up now for my upcoming season. Smile

p.s. Being a New-Englander, it seems so odd for me to see a whitetail taken in vegetation that you would never see up here. What an adaptive creature the whitetail is.
Back to top Go down
saxman

saxman

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Florida 8 point   N.E. Florida 8 point Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 11:39 am

I agree Marty
The whitetail seems to be able to adapt to whatever we throw at it.
Funny how there are more now than when Cloumbus was here.

I enjoy shooting the 45 cal.
I have always shot 50's but when I saw this gun and the price was so sweet I did a little research on the 45 and it is ballisticly superior to the 50 in every way,also the reduced weight of the gun,softer recoil.
To me,the only advantage the 50 cal has is a wider range of bulletts and accsesories available,and it sounds cool to say "I shoot a 50 cal LOL)I bet if they offered more (on the shelves) for the 45 more people would shoot it.

What are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Florida 8 point   N.E. Florida 8 point Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Love the .45 saxman! I don't own a .50 ML. Being a centerfire reloader I decided from day 1 I was going to use .45 ML's. They have been awesome on whitetails for me. I am looking forward to a .45 Thor when it comes out to give it a try.

Still love the powerbelts though. Nothing like an all lead bullet. Can't wait to harvest my first deer with the 275 grainer. My season starts after Thanksgiving. Smile

p.s. just got back from an evening hunt with archery. Saw three deer but no shots. will try again on thursday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: N.E. Florida 8 point   N.E. Florida 8 point Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

N.E. Florida 8 point
Page 1 of 1