Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

.45 Cabelas Hawken

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
frontier gander
tech adviser
tech adviser

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-12-23

.45 Cabelas Hawken Empty
PostSubject: .45 Cabelas Hawken   .45 Cabelas Hawken Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Jan 21st.

Took the Hawken out again with 40gr pyrodex RS, .015 patch and .440 round ball. I was shooting off my sand bag rest and at 50 yards.
I also shot some 285gr Buffallo Conicals at the same target (marked red) with 80gr RS and i did not like the group at all.
.45 Cabelas Hawken 285

I took it back to the house and cleaned the barrel with a few patches and loaded up 3 powder tubes with 70gr RS and the round ball combo.

No good!
.45 Cabelas Hawken 440-70

Later on in the evening i wanted to try the same 70gr load but use a ox-yoke wad under the round ball to protect the patch and i was very pleased with it but i still have to do a little work with shrinking the group. Possibly use a .018 patch next time out.
.45 Cabelas Hawken 440-70wad-1

The next day i used 60gr pyrodex P with the .440 round ball , felt wad and .015 patch. Whhhhhy do we always talk our selves into taking one more shot and then fudgin up the group?
.45 Cabelas Hawken Picture-2
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-07

.45 Cabelas Hawken Empty
PostSubject: FG.. you send a great message to beginners   .45 Cabelas Hawken Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 am

You do what everyone needs to do... and that is take the time and experiment with loads to find out what works for a particular smokegun. You actually go the extra mile and post. I believe too many center fire shooters or beginners who try muzzleloading expect too much on the bench the first time they stuff something down the barrel and "let-'er-fly". There are no pre-packaged "factory ammo loads" at WalMart... they need to realize they have to make the loads up themselves Shocked !

Here's a flash-back story that comes to mind, so please bear with me. I once met a rookie at the range who had a collection a .50 caliber muzzleloaders of various qualities spead-out all over the benchs(you know... you've see it before). It drove me insane when he said he didn't like to shoot "that one" because: "I can't get that piece-of-junk to shoot...I guess you get what you pay for". Well, as I stared at the "out-of-the box" Traditions rifle, I was so-o-o-o tempted by the devil Twisted Evil to first say to him: "if you want to sell that piece of junk, I'll take it off your hands for you". But my better sportman half won. I ended-up getting 6 pounds of elk hamburg from him in payment for getting his Traditions "piece-of-junk" to shoot.

He couldn't put any of his smokepoles down from then on. He was on the bench ALL the time experimenting. (I don't think his wife particularly cared for me for what I turned him into ... I think his wife was ready to divorce him!... lol! )
Back to top Go down

.45 Cabelas Hawken
Page 1 of 1