Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Marty

Marty

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-02-07

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Empty
PostSubject: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:11 pm

I am a hopeless tinker-er at my work bench, especially during the winter months with cabin fever. I always wondered why Powerbelts are not offered with a solid nose... probably because the hollow points offer superior expansion. However, for something to do I experimented nonetheless and placed a small lead insert into my .45 Powerbelt hollow points. Why? Maybe I might get better penetration, maybe I might get a better ballistic coefficent... who knows. Although my pilot product and method does show signs of consistent manufacturing, I haven't had a chance to get to the bench with it. If my experimental .45's group I might then be interested to see what kind of bullet recovery I get, and perhaps even put them to the test on game if things look good. Anyway, here's what I came up with.

Here's my "how-to" make it. I used the 225 grain hollowpoint as it is one of the more popular:

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0054

I used FORNEY lead solder as the hollowpoint lead plug. I liked it because it is pliable with the soft center core. I will straighten-out a length off the spool as best I can BY HAND, then cut it to a length of about 7/8 inch. 7/8" is about the right length, as it still retains some rigidity, yet it's long enough that the "hammering" will not expand the solder at the point where it enters the hollowpoint opening. I next take a file and flatten both ends of the 7/8" piece. I next bevel one end(see red tip in pic) to make it easier to start and seat into the hollowpoint opening.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0065-1

I then take a toothpick to measure and mark the length of the hollowpoint depth, and mark that length accordingly on the 7/8" piece of lead solder. The next step involves actually placing the lead in the hollowpoint, which can be a little tricky the first time. The diameter of the lead solder is conveniently such that it fits very smug into the hollowpoint opening. In order to insert the lead solder into the hollowpoint, I first take off the plastic skirt from the Powerbelt, then "hand-start" the tapered red tip end of the lead solder into the hollowpoint with a gentle twisting motion... just enough to hold it in place. I then place the bullet into a 13/64 inch hole I drilled in a piece of oak plywood.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0017

The key to getting the solder into the hollowpoint is to VERY, VERY, GENTLY tap it in with a very small hammer. If the solder bends while you hammer, simple straighten it out with a pair of needle nose pliers and continue. By the time you are done hammering the solder should be "close" the the depth line you placed on the solder earlier.
If you've hammered at the right pressure while maintaining an upright angle, the solder should like this sticking out of the bullet.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0060

Now, snip off the end of the solder, but not too close to the flat end of the bullet. You want to leave enogh solder(1/16") to be able to file it down flush accurately.

All you need to do after you've filed it flush is to re-attach the plastic skirt onto the bullet and you're ready to go. Here's what the finished product should look like:

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0046

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0063

I next weighed the finished products.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0052

I started off my project with 225 grain (without the plastic skirts)Powerbelt bullets. The weight of the finished bullets with the lead inserts were as follows: 231.6 grains, 231.4 grains(pictured), 231.1 grains, 231.1. grains, 231.0 grains and 231.2 grains. As you can see the lead solder insert adds about 6+ grains of weight.

It was a fun project for me. When I eventually get out to the range, I'll follow-up with my results (probably this summer).
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 pm

marty, this is a sticky now. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://45calshooters.forumotion.net
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: .45 insert update...   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Some excellent recovery testing has already been done recently by forum member FrontierGander on the Forney soft-lead solder inserts at 20 and 58 yards, and it is hopeful to have those results available to the Forum soon for viewing. In a nutshell, at test ranges of 20 and 58 yards the inserts did appear to cause the Powerbelts to "over" expand... but the GOOD news is they did so in a uniform manner. Holowpoint Powerbelts rely on expansion by first filling the hollowpoint void with material (hide, skin, muscle, internal fluid, etc.) upon imact and initial penetration. Inconsistent Powerbelt expansion and penetration is not only attributed to excessive velocity from high powder charges, but also from the many variables associated with the "material "which initially fills the hollowpoint upon impact. The uniform expansion with the soft inserts may have been due to the fact that the bullet expanded initially with a material which had a "constant" or fixed consistency(i.e., the soft lead). A moderately healthy charge(100 grains of RS) was used for the recovery test. I believe a Powerbelt with this particular soft insert may be effective on deer for those who prefer to use smaller powder charges(say 70 to 90 grains) at closer ranges between 30 and 100 yards.

Design and testing of inserts for .45 caliber Powerbelts is by no means over. I initially started off with the softest metal insert material (pure lead) I could find and work with. I am curently designing more inserts with incremental increases in hardness (Brinell Hardness Number, BHN), with hopes to find a balanced insert which will still offer consistent and controlled bullet expansion and penetration for those that like to use heavier powder charges. Stay tuned throughout the summer!
Back to top Go down
frontier gander
tech adviser
tech adviser

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 pm

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts 225-soldertip-20-58yards-100gr
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts 225-soldertip-20-58yards-100gr-TWO
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net
frontier gander
tech adviser
tech adviser

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 pm

All shot at 20 yards into damp sand with 100gr Pyrodex RS. As you will see again, that shaft has got to be threaded! When they turn sideways they allow the bullets to pancake/fragment/over expand. When they stay in the upright position they do great.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert009
Aluminum-
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert013
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert014
50-50
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert015
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert016
30-70-
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert017
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert018
63-37-
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert019
.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PowerbeltInsert020
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: Re: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Great job on the recovery tests FG! Just so that forum members know what you were testing, the numbers refer to the specific type of solder used as an insert. For example, the 30/70 refers to 30% tin and 70% lead. The solders were all at least twice as hard as the Forney acid core solder that you tested a little while back. It looks like unless you have a threaded insert like the ones your have made, the only off-the-shelf solder insert that provides any uniform expansion is the soft acid core solder.

It might be worth mentioning that you used a healthy charge at a relatively close range(20 yards). Results might be different with a milder charge and a farther distance.
Back to top Go down
Marty

Marty

PostSubject: .45 CALIBER Solder insert Ssummary...   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks to FrontierGander I am able to give you a preliminary summary of what solder inserts for Powerbelt Bullets have been recovery-tested to date. Solders which have been tested as hollowpoint inserts include Forney's acid-core solder(96-99% lead), 50/50, 30/70 and 63/37. Of those only the Forney solder

[img].45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PICT0009[/img]

appears to have potential as an insert. This is no surprise since the composition of the soft Forney solder(about BHN 6) and the Powerbelt Lead Bullets are quite similar in nature (all lead).

Since the Forney solder is soft it can sometimes be difficult to place in the hollowpoint void. Here's a little trick to get that solder into that hollowpoint. Start with a 7/8 inch straight piece Forney solder. Purhase a NEW 1/8 inch cobalt drill bit to mount into a length of dowel to use as a handle.

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts PICT0010

Next, router-out the hollowpoint with the drill bit. Since the bit is many times harder that the lead bullet it will NOT take much effort at all to bottom-out the tip of the bit to the bottom of the hollowpoint openning. Since the solder is 1/8 inch dia. and the hollowpoint is now 1/8 inch dia., simple push the solder into the hollowpoint until it bottoms-out. Next, snip off the solder to within 1/8 inch of the bullet tip. Remove the yellow plastic skirt, take a small hammer and with a single but mild blow, drive the solder into the Powerbelt to where only 1/16 inch of solder is sticking out of the tip of the bullet. Now take a file and file the solder flush with the tip of the bullet. It should again now look like this.

[img].45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts IMG_0063[/img]

Put the yellow skirt back on the bullet and you're now ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts   .45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

.45 caliber Powerbelts - custom lead inserts
Page 1 of 1